Names on a Wall

Submitted by: Tanya B.

Original Song

Names on a Wall, tells the story of the Heligan gardeners, who signed their names on the wall of the Thunderbox Room above the date August 1914, before they went off to fight for their country. Their departure marked the beginning of decline for the gardens at Heligan, and it wasn’t until 1990 when the Thunderbox Room was excavated that their names were discovered and their story came to light. The wall bearing the gardeners’ names is now recognized by the Imperial War Museum as a ‘Living Memorial’.

A project in partnership with The Lost Gardens of Heligan. Song written by Tanya Brittain.

Get In Touch

Want to get involved with A Song For Us? We’re always looking for new partners and supporters. Please fill in the form below and we’ll be in touch soon.